Saturday, June 22, 2013

A year to remember



This last post is to make a review of what this school year has meant for me. At the beginning of the year I was sceptic and my expectations were rather low. I wasn't satisfied with the evolution many students had in 2nd of ESO and I feared that it would be a hard year. 30 students in the same group seemed too much and sometimes I have felt powerless in front of so many noisy people. But despite the difficulties and my initial precaution, this has been a year I will remember. I think most of you have worked a lot and I'm not only referring to the fact that you've studied for the exams, because the really productive intellectual work is the one that leaves some unforgettable remains on your minds. And I think that this has been achieved especially with projects and, in some cases, with your work on the blog. I would like to have the freedom to teach always through projects, readings, essays, text analyses...They are the best way to learn, including me. I've learned so much this year trying to answer your questions, orient your projects, satisfy your curiosity... that I have to thank you for challenging me in the same way I've tried to challenge you everyday. That's how I understand this wonderful profession: teaching is opening new paths, not only for the students, but for the teacher itself. I can't understand this job as a bureaucratic task, as a routine work. I believe in interaction, in sharing opinions, expanding knowledge, connecting new contents with the past, stopping for a while and reflecting about ideas or concepts... We've had much of this together this year and this is something that doesn't happen too often. Thank you again. 

This year has already finished and it's time to wish you the best for the future. No matter where you go or what you do, this will continue to be your place if you want to stop by and write something, ask questions, make comments, ask for help... We're not closed (neither in summer!). 

Finally, I would like to share with you some ideas to make you think about the kind of person you want to become. You can call them pieces of advice, if you prefer: 

- Respect the others if you want to gain their respect. 

- Reason and words are your best weapons. Use them anytime. Violence and revenge never bring anything else but more pain and suffering. Remember that all the wars we studied ended with peace treaties, with people obliged to sit down, talk and reach agreements. 

- Don´t forget about the past: use it to build a better future. Our progress as species will only be proved when we learn from the past and don't make the same mistakes over and over again. 

- Don´t stop asking questions: it´s the best way to learn. 

- Be curious, not nosy. 

- Be critical. Don´t believe everything people tell you and don't be conformist with what most people say. Look for the answers to your doubts and come to your own conclusions. 

- Give a hand to the people who need it, cooperate, be supportive. No one can survive alone and the progress of mankind has always been achieved uniting efforts. Remember the good results and the good time you had when you worked in groups and try to find the best of everyone you work or share your life with. 

- Don´t forget that you are human, not numbers (nor users or clients). Don´t let anyone treat you as if you were only figures on a sheet of paper. As for the marks, they´re only figures too. What will remain is what you learnt, not what the administration wrote on your school report.

- Open your mind, judge people for what they do, not for who they are or where they come from. Forget about prejudices. We, citizens of the world, all belong to the same species and share more than we could imagine. Borders, nations, flags and “races” are human inventions to divide us and justify the supremacy of the minorities over the great majority.

- Don´t keep silence before injustice. Listen to the others, but speak out loud when you think you´re right. Following the herd may seem more comfortable sometimes, but you will feel better if you don't betray your principles (even if some people say that principles won't feed you). 

- Keep in mind that, even in the worst circumstances, you can always choose how to behave or what to do. 

- Try not to be another brick in the wall. Don't be afraid of choosing a less trodden path. As Friedrich Nietzsche said , "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

- Have a good life and share with others everything you can do to make the world a better place to live in. Be the change you wish to see in the world!

Finally, I would also include the letter a Murcian teacher of Greek called Arístides Mínguez has written at the end of this school year. He reflects very well why we, public school teachers, have to keep on fighting: 

http://lacolumnata.es/politica/el-antro-de-la-arpia-politica/adios-muchachos-adios-alumnos-mios

That's all, folks! I hope to see you soon, in the corridors or in class! Have a nice summer and keep in touch if you want.



7 comments:

Unknown said...

Paqui I will miss you a lot...

Paqui Pérez Fons said...

Gema, I won't let you miss me. Even if History is not your favourite subject, I'll be around and I hope we continue to talk from time to time, when you want :)

Unknown said...

see you on Monday!!

Monica said...

Paqui I love a lot this post. All you wrote is true. I´ll miss you a lot, but you know that when I see you I will speak with you and I will tell you how my dreems se cumplen.

Paqui Pérez Fons said...

Mónica, as I said to Gema, I won't let you miss me. I know that you will keep in touch and I wish you the best. We'll continue to do things together, if you want. As for dreams, this is a song I love a lot from a TV series called Glee. It says that the best way to make dreams come true is believing that they can become real It's called Don't stop believing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WxPyUzWSPA

I hope you like it!

Unknown said...

Oh Paqui you have make me feel thrilled :) :) :)
You are a great intellectual person and you also have a big heart!
I keep the trip to Madrid as one of the best moments of the year! Thank you for everything and sorry if sometimes I have been a little stubborn!
Have a nice summer you deserve to rest! :)

Paqui Pérez Fons said...

Hello Raquel,

Being stubborn is normal at your age. Don't worry! It's part of growing up and also something we have to deal with. Thanks for your words and I hope we can share more good moments in the future! Have a nice summer too!