Today in Social Sciences class we have reviewed the topic of new class-based society, which we learnt on Thursday. After that Paqui has introduced the topic about the Labour Movement with some pictures about the bad living conditions of workers.
- FIRST WORKERS' PROTESTS: Protests against the bad living conditions of workers were the consequences of the labour movement. LUDDISM: workers destroyed the machines because they considered them responsible for their bad working conditions. Not organized protest. The workers discovered were executed.
- CLASS CONSCIOUSNESS: Living and working together made the workers become aware of their situation and start organize to improve.
- FIRST WORKERS' ASSOCIATIONS: Mutual benefit societies (associations of workers who paid a monthly fee to help other workers in case of illness) and Trade unions (associations of workers to fight for the improvements of their conditions. At the beggining they were forbidden)
- FIRST ATTEMPTS TO INTERVENE IN POLITICS: CHARTISM (Political movement that demanded political rights for the workers. They presented a chart to the Parliament with their demands. They didn't get what they wanted
LABOUR MOVEMENT IDEOLOGIES
- DEFINITION: ideology that aspires to build a society in which the the means of production are collective
- BRANCHES: Propositions based on collective property and the idea that humans are good by nature and willing to cooperate. All these propositions failed.
- ROBERT OWEN: He owned a cotton fabric factory, he worried about his workers and created a model community called New Lanarck. He tried to extend this to the USA, but the experience failed.
- COUNT OF SAINT SIMON: He considered the kings, nobles and clergy to be useless and parasitical groups. He promoted the abolition of inheritance.
- LUDDISM: luddismo
- LUDDITE: luddita
- WARNING LETTER: carta de aviso
- CLASS CONSCIOUSNESS: conciencia de clase
- MONTHLY FEE: cuota mensual
- MUTUAL BENEFIT SOCIETY: sociedad de socorros mutuos
- TRADE UNION: sindicato
- DECK: puerto
- POSH: pijo
- CHARTIST MOVEMENT: movimiento cartista
- BALLOT BOX: urna
- CONSTITUENCY: distrito electoral
- UTOPIAN: utópico
- COMMITTED: comprometido
- PARTNER: socio